Taking a lunch to work or school is something that many people often struggle with. However, if you set the appropriate time aside, lunches can be very nutritious and not boring.
Below are 3 easy lunches that are healthy and delicious!
Vegetable Couscous Salad
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Wash and chop the tomatoes, zucchini, bell pepper, and red onion into 1 to 1.5-inch pieces. Peel four cloves of garlic but leave them whole.
2. Toss the chopped vegetables and garlic with 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Spread them out on a baking sheet so they are in a single layer. Sprinkle a couple pinches of salt and pepper over the vegetables
3. Place the vegetables in the oven and roast at 400ºF for about 45 minutes, stirring twice throughout, until the vegetables are wilted and browned on the edges.
4. While the vegetables are roasting, cook the couscous. Add the vegetable broth to a sauce pot, place a lid on top, and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add the couscous, turn off the heat, and cover the pot with the lid once again. Let the couscous sit, undisturbed, for ten minutes. Then, fluff with a fork.
5. After the vegetables are finished roasting, collect the four garlic cloves, and chop them well. They will be quite soft. Also roughly chop the fresh parsley.
6. Combine the couscous, roasted vegetables (including garlic), and parsley in a bowl, and stir to combine. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm or cold!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
15 Ounce can Chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups Cooked Chickpeas
1 Rib Celery
3 Green Onions
1-2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1 Tsp Celery Seed
Salt & Pepper
4 Slices of Bread
Lettuce, spring green mix, or sprouts
1. Thinly slice the celery (if it’s a large rib, cut in half lengthwise first). Thinly slice the green onions.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. In a medium bowl, smash the chickpeas with a fork.
3. Combine the chickpeas with the chopped celery and green onions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and celery seed. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on your chickpea brand and taste preferences, and fresh ground pepper to taste. Taste and salt until the flavor pops! If the salad is dry, add more mayonnaise (cooked chickpeas have a drier texture than canned).
4. Assemble the chickpea salad sandwich: If desired, spread the bread with hummus (this amps it up a bit but not required). Top the sandwich with lettuce or greens and chickpea spread.
1/4 Cup Black Beans
1 Tsp Chicken Broth
Pinch of Cumin
Pinch of Cayenne
Pinch of Garlic Powder
1/2 Cup Red Cabbage, sliced thin
3 Ounces precooked grilled chicken breast, sliced thin
2 Tbsp Nonfat Greek Yogurt
2 Tbsp Fresh Salsa
Fresh Cilantro, for garnish
Sliced Green Onions, for garnish
1. Microwave black beans with chicken broth, oregano, cumin, cayenne, and garlic powder on high for 30 to 45 seconds until heated. Set aside.
2. Add red cabbage to your bowl, and spoon the black beans on top. Layer sliced chicken, Greek yogurt, salsa, and cilantro and green onions, and enjoy immediately!
3. To store for later use do not combine the first and second step until you are ready to eat.